DIY Project : Build Your Own Tipsy Pots Planter
September 11, 2012 by
Amazing flower pairings, DIY home and garden craft projects, Things that inspire me in the garden
Surely by now you have seen those nifty tipsy-pots planters in the gardening magazines and on the Internet. I think they are great and made one last spring, then added a few summer flowers to it as the season progressed. But now it was time for a Fall overhaul! Since I was redoing the plantings, I decided to take the whole thing apart and show the steps so you can make one, too.
Fall Tipsy-Pots Planter ~ so easy, inexpensive and fun to make!
To get started, you’ll need:
- four clay pots (mine were the same size, but experiment with what you have!) and a large clay pot for the bottom
- 2 bricks
- a finial (bought or homemade)
- a 4 foot (or longer) piece of rebar
- Moisture Control potting mix (or any mix with water retention beads added – you don’t want to water every five minutes!)
- a selection of plants (I used 4 small mums, 6 yellow pansies, 1 curry plant, and 1 plectranthus , plus I kept some of the creeping jenny that was already there)
Now follow the picture directions below and have fun making your own variation!
Step #1 ~ Gather materials for planting the tipsy-pots: four small and one large clay pot, 2 bricks, a finial , a 4 foot or longer piece of rebar, potting mix with water retention beads added and a selection of fall plants (mums, pansies, curry plant, plectranthus)
Step # 2 ~ insert rebar into pot & down through drain hole into the ground for stability
Step # 3 ~ Upend the bricks and sink into the soil on either side of the rebar and place the edge of the first pot on one
Step # 4 ~ 2 pots stacked on the rebar (tilt each pot the opposite direction so it rests on the pot below it)
Step # 5 ~ Continue stacking the pots, now 3 pots on the rebar post
Step # 6 ~ Place the final pot on and top with a finial, 4 pots now on the rebar and you are ready to plant
Step # 7 ~ We need something decorative ~ an added touch ~ a small bird bowl
Finished Fall Tipsy-Pots Planter