September is now here and it’s apple season, time to make apple cake! This is a wonderful cake for the fall and winter and probably the most requested at our house for birthdays, holidays and special occasions. Another of my wonderful German grandmother’s old recipes, it has stood the test of time.
Easy enough to make, you do have to remember to start the recipe the day before you are going to bake, because the apples mascerate in their own juices overnight. That adds a whole other layer of flavor to this tasty recipe. So, let’s get started!
Apple Cake Filling
(make the day before and let sit overnight)
Prep time: 10 minutes the day before
- 4 or 5 unpeeled, medium apples
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- The day before ~ slice 4 or 5 unpeeled, medium apples (finely diced pieces)
- add 2 tablespoons cinnamon & 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- mix thoroughly and set aside overnight on the kitchen counter
Apple Cake Batter & Sugary Crust Topping
(makes 1 large cake with 8 servings)
Prep time: 10 minutes to prepare and 1 1/2 hours to bake
Cake Batter Ingredients:
- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 beaten eggs
Sugary Crust Topping Ingredients: (goes on AFTER the cake is baked)
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 5 teaspoons granulated sugar
- The next day, sift together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and salt
- Mix together 2 cups granulated sugar and wet ingredients: vegetable oil, orange juice, vanilla and eggs
- Combine the wet and dry mixtures
- Now alternate layers of batter and the apple mixture in a well greased and floured tube pan
- Mix and heat the cake topping ingredients in a saucepan on the stove until bubbling, set aside
- Bake the cake at 350 degrees F about 1 and 1/2 hours (test with a knife)
- Turn the oven off and, while the cake is still warm, pour the topping onto it and let it sit in the warm oven about 5 minutes.
- This will form a hard sugary crust that is amazing with the soft delicate cake underneath!
Let the cake cool, transfer to a pretty plate and have some good vanilla ice cream to top it with on hand. You are in for a treat!