For the last arrangement in TheDCH Floral Workshop series, “The Nose Knows” was the theme. A country basket filled with free form meadow wildflowers, garden cuttings and fragrant florist flowers was created by instructor Brenda Tunis.
Incorporating scent into your flower arranging was the focus. Brenda had clipped samples from her own yard for us to smell and identify including Tansy, Sage, Thyme, Lemon Balm, Mountain Mint, Spearmint, Bronze Fennel and Parsley. Did you know that plants in the mint family have square stems?
Then, on to the arrangement where we first gathered all the materials (see below) and began filling the wet oasis in the basket.
- Place greens in first (we used Camellia Bush clippings, Ivy and Baker’s Fern). You can wrap the basket handle with ivy if desired.
- Now put in the Sunflowers and delicate Cornflowers (wrapped with floral wire)
- Place Sweet William, Stock and Iris in the arrangement and fill in with Queen Anne’s Lace
- Add branches or curly willow for added height
- Use wired ribbon to make a bow accent
** note ~ water daily and your flower basket should last about a week